Knox United Church was created through the amalgamation of the former Knox Presbyterian and Victoria Avenue Methodist Churches in 1933, both having become United Churches at the time of union in 1925. Initially worshipping in the building on the south-east corner of 15th Street and Victoria Avenue and using the building on the north-west corner for education purposes, the congregation later sold the former Knox Presbyterian Church. After careful consideration and planning, a new church building was erected at the corner of 18th Street and Victoria Avenue. Dedication took place on April 15, 1956.
Knox United Church reflects the national church in its varied people, talents and opinions. Our church family has always tried to deal with the variety of issues that face a congregation over time, striving to listen respectfully to the thoughts, feelings and opinions of all. Knox has a history of concern around social justice issues, both at the local community level and around the world. Many activities of the congregation provide a way to live out this commitment. Many community organizations use the space in our church for their meetings and activities, making the building a busy place.
Music is an important part of the life of Knox. We are blessed with many talented music-makers who share their passion and commitment freely in many ways. Sunday morning worship involves both traditional and contemporary styles, with the music including organ, combo and other instruments from time to time. Our four-part choir sings an anthem each Sunday and leads the congregation in lots of singing!
Knox became an Affirming Ministry of the United Church of Canada in 2010.
Copyright © 2020 Knox United Church - All Rights Reserved.